12.13.2005

Welcome, Beavers

Kate and I went to see The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and That Tricksy Waredrobe last night and we thought it was fantastic, which is something considering that we both were anticipating the heck out of it. I didn't really remember the book that well (whereas Kate has seemingly memorized it) so I was genuinely wondering what was gonna happen from about the moment Lucy meets Mr. Tumnus on.*

But after the movie, Kate turned to me and said, with a slight bit of hesitation, "Did you think the relationship between Mr. Tumnus and Lucy was a little ... off?" And I did, o how I did. We both thought of Tumnus as an older, less naked fawn, not a naughty young fawn completely-nude-except-for-a-scarf who tricks little wide-eyed girlies into coming back to his burrow "for tea and toast and maybe even some cakes" and plays lullabies on his "magical flute" for them until they fall asleep in front of his dancing fire. Maybe it's the loss of innocence in today's society, but that seemed a little wrong to us. Last night I had a dream which prominently featured Mr. Tumnus doing a dance that I like to call "the dirty Tumnus" - ask me to demonstrate next time I see you and you'll understand.

Other thoughts:
- Lucy is cute as a button! I love a fat-cheeked child.
- Edmund is the name of many morally corrupt characters in English literature. Note to self: do not name future fat-cheeked baby Edmund or risk being betrayed in some big way.
- Susan and Peter both need to remove the gigantic sticks from their asses before something perforates
- If one day I obtain naming rights to a horse, I'll name him Phillip. Or Chassie, because that's one of those words that would be a fun girl's nickname if it didn't mean something else.
- CS Lewis was very anti-woman. He and TH White totally have a little "Boyz Rule + Girls Drool" treehouse in the middle of slightly-older children's fiction.

That's it, besides the fact that two main characters are beavers, and I can't not laugh at that word. I hope one day I will stop being 14.

"Mr. Beaver"

Did you laugh too? (Kate laughed, but I don't think she'll appreciate me telling you that).



* I did remember the Turkish Delight because when i was a kid and read the book, I thought that Turkish Delight must be the most delicious thing ever and I had to find it. When I did (in a sweet shop in Victoria) I spent my whole sweet allowance for two pieces and low and behold, it sucked major ass. It's like unsweetened jelly fruit the texture of almond paste coated in enough flour to make a cupcake. Those Turks have an odd notion of "delight." I would call it Tasteless Turkish Goo or Turkish Dissapointment. Needless to say, I would demand something else from a stranger with a magical candy potion - if she really wanted my brothers and sisters, she would have to hand over the magical candy potion and a pony and a really nice tiara.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home