10.23.2005

So I'm writing my Feminist Legal Theory (i.e. Women Get Screwed Over Hardcore) paper about menopause and I'm reading what the FDA and drug company send to the doctors and what they send to the female patients about this drug that will cure your night sweats, but then will cause you to have a stroke or breast cancer or something equally fun and life-threatening. The difference between the two messages is a chasm- the doctors get stuff that says "Only use the medication if it is absolutely necessary then take the women off it right as soon as you can" and the women are told "o, you'll be fine, don't worry your pretty little head. At one point, while reading a lay-woman Q&A just after reading a NEw England Journal of Medicine article, I was like "this is So Patronizing."


And then I thought it was funny that the only word I could think of to describe the way that the drug company was glossing over the truth to stop a justified panic describes the way that men have been oppressing women for centuries. This class is reawakening my inner pissed-off hairy-legged woman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home