7.21.2005

unexpectedly good movie (+ etcereras)

I'm watching Spanglish at the moment (it's pretty good) and i LOVED this comment:

"Lately your low self-esteem is just good common sense."

Somehow that strikes me as Bob Dylan-esque insult, which means it's the best, most-cutting kind. And thank GOD they didn't put more Tea Leoni in the movie. I was watching the deleted scenes which are all scenes with more of her, and if I were not a rational sane upholder-of-the-law type, I would declare jihad on that woman. I know she's just playing a role, but I saw her interviews for the movie, and she did not seem aware of the egrigious behavior of her character. Those are the worst kinds of people.


The other night, I was driving back from the grocery store and Senor Pod played two versions of "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright" back to back despite the fact that he was on shuffle. I have 4 versions on the pod: Dylan & Baez (oo! the levels!), Indigo Girls (... meh), Kingston Trio (very weird because I associate them with Charlie on the MTA) and Johnny Cash (the one that makes me cry).

Everyone covers it because it's so layered- one moment it's heartbroken and mourning the end , the next it swerves into bitter sarcasm and back and forth all the way til the end. (the wimpy Kingston trio sings the last verse then sings the 3rd verse again, but I think you need to end on the "You just kinda wasted my precious time." To do otherwise is to undercut the song). O, and the last line- so barbed to both the singer and the sung-to. I don't think you've had enough relationships until you can feel both sides.

But anyway, twice in a row at night is too much for me, so i had to skip ahead until I could find a song that didn't mention interpersonal relationships at all (I found Lunapop- Vespa Special K) and I no longer felt the urge to cry while alone in my car at night. Really, I must get the crying in check. I am not a crier! Strong, I am, and resilient! Like a Viking!



(When I was little, I had a Hagar the Horrible comic book, and the only cartoon I remember from it goes something like this

First Panel
[Hagar dressed in medical gown (despite the anachronism- just go with it, ppl) talking with his doctor]
Doctor: Hagar, you're going to kill yourself if you keep up like this. You need to give up feasting, pillaging, drinking, etc.

Second Panel
Hagar: Well, it's a good thing I'm a Viking
Doctor: Why?

Third Panel
[Hagar springs to his feet, unsheathing his sword and holding it aloft, placing a conquering foot on the doctor's bench]
Hagar: (in Gothic typeface) Because Vikings Never Give Up!

This, I admit, is not an overly funny cartoon. But for some reason, it tickled me pink at the time, and still does to this day. I often say in my head "It's a good think I'm a Viking" and then giggle out loud, which probably causes many ppl to think I'm laughing at them, but no, it is the Ghost of Hagar Comics Past rippling through my mind.

A few years back, my dad found out he has this weird blood disease call hemachromatosis
a genetic disorder you only get if you have Viking blood in you. Despite the unfortunate implications of this (as all of my dad's ancestors are Irish, so there must have been some raping/pillaging back there), the news made my day. And then my mom got me a bunch of bumper stickers from the Norway Travel Bureau saying "Take a Liking to a Viking" and that completes the rundown of all of my Viking anecdotes. That's it, I'm cleaned out, go get your Viking anecdotes elsewhere from now on. )


Wow, so many topics, such weak segues. I swear I'll try harder to be cohesive next post.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say - i'm quite impressed you are part Viking. We must start pillaging the law school in honor of your heritage!!

Aggie

Friday, July 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home