6.05.2005

Like Wu Tang, Roald Dahl is for the children. Or is he?

When i was little, I always thought that the Roald Dahl who wrote Charlie & the Chocolate Factory was different than the Roald Dahl who wrote Matilda, The Witches, Danny the Champion of the World (my favorite) etc. Like there could be two children's authors running around named Roald Dahl.


Also, i always thought it was completely scary when charlie had found the golden ticket and he had to get from the shop to home without anyone mugging him or stomplling him in a crowd or somehow depriving him of his golden ticket and/or life. I figured that until that point, he had never had something to lose, and to go from nothing to everything in like one minute is pretty bewildering and he had no one to protect him on the way home. As a well-protected child, the concept of being completely unprotected and relying on the kindness of strangers was very unpleasant to me.

Speaking of pretty frightening, you should read some of RD's novels for adults. Like Kiss Kiss and Switch Bitch. When I was younger and had read all of the children's RD, I moved onto the adult RD and it wasn't until I had frightened the bejeesus out of myself with Kiss Kiss that I stopped, and went back to more childish reading. There's one story about a woman who ... well, i'll let you read it, but suffice it to say, I think a little bit of my trusting side was permanently killed by that story.


that said, I think tim burton is the perfect person to adapt a RD book, as they always have a slimy crawling dark side to his books but eventually everything turns out for the best. i love this trailer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home